Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 21: More Mark Twain

Today was the day to visit Mark Twain's Connecticut home.  I had Lon wear his riverboat shirt.  Since we got there fairly early, we had a tour with just us three. Sadly, we can not take any photos inside the home.
Mr. Samuel Clemens made out of Lego! Lon was ready to study it all day.  Mark Twain and Lego, there is really no better combo!
This was in the visitor's center
The tour guide took our photograph.
On the front porch
In front of what the Clemens girls called the Jungle
It is such a pretty house.  They lived there only 17 years.
Lon being Tom!
Then it was time to go find something to eat since the Harriet Beecher Stowe House was closed

We traveled down to Broad Street in New Britain. It is Polish Street.  We went to a wonderful small place and got some lunch, It is called Varsovita. They had peirogi, stuffed cabbage, potato pancakes, a pork dish with all sort of veggies,  and and and... They were also a grocery store.  We picked out a variety for lunch. The super nice lady behind the counter made a small pizza from a slice of French bread just for Lon.  I bought alot of yummy things, only a few things in small glass jars that I have to bring with me in the car. The rest can be mailed. I got some real Polish Poppy Seed filling, beets, some candy, some ground pickles, and some soup mix, the cup of soup kind. But the flavors are pickle, cabbage and red cabbage, garlic.  If I need more, I can always ask for Christmas!

Another grocery store we went in to. SO much good stuff, so much I wanted to take home, so much I did not take home.  Mark's mother even said I was being very restrained.
The big church, what I noticed around here is that the churches that do not list the denominations are all Catholic.
We stopped at Michael's Ice Cream at Mitchell College in New London. We love Michaels. You can get an extra small, which is one scoop of ice cream. The perfect size!

Trying to find a history bit, they have been around for 72 years!

We came home for a little while, looked up where to get my car's oil changed, then went to dinner at Charlie's Diner. I had a gyro, Lon had alot of chicken, and Grammalyn had lasagne.
Now to plan something wonderful for tomorrow!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I commented once on this neat blog, but it did not publish. You are doing a great job with teaching Lon about his country and how fun history can be. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Mom