Search This Blog

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Day 6: A Day of Frustration

Today was such a let down compared to yesterday.
Starting Mileage: 2128.9
We got on the road at 8:12am via the new Mark Twain Bridge
Illinois
We thought it might be fun to see the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL. Since we were going right by there. Parking was not so fun. But we figured it out
I love the random knitter that dressed Mrs. Lincoln in a colorful skirt
The desk at Lincoln's law office museum. It was rather small. I hope they get it put together better. It could be wonderful
Goofing off in front of the state house!
Lon getting some inside information for his history detective paper.  I was not supposed to take the photo, it was beyond the tile floor. I said I would not do it again.
This photo I could take !
Measuring up. He is almost as tall as Abe, and Abe was 9!
It was time to move on, we could have stayed there for a much longer time, but we wanted to make it almost to Pennsylvania.
We stopped for gas just outside of Springfield.
Mileage: 2252.5 11.1 gallons at $3.41 per gallon
At almost 4pm we were passing the exit signs for Brownsburg. The usual things were listed, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and a DUNKIN ! Lon and I just had to stop ! A real dunkin' !
Next time we stop, we are going to get a bunch of K-cup dunkin and mail it back!  And yes, it was really really good!
We got gas at 5:34pm in Richmond, IN
10.25 gallons, $3.49 per gallon
We are now in Ohio. That is when the frustrating part of our day really got going.  I was only slightly frustrated that I did not see any antique mall signs for places still open  after we passed through Indianapolis! But the most frustrating is I still can not make phone calls. I do not understand why my phone did not work across 5 states.  On an interstate. The weather started to turn bad. So instead of being on the east side of Columbus, we are on the west side of Dayton. They had severe thunderstorm warnings, it was getting dark, and very windy. We are in a Holiday Inn Express. Probably not the nicest Holiday Inn Express, but it is not horrible. It does not smell.  The hotel can not figure out how to *release* my phone so I can make over priced calls from the hotel. phone.  The hotel eatery was so slow. Lon was so hungry, after dinner, it got to be too much. He just wanted a cuddle and a cry. Now he is asleep. Tomorrow will be a better day, with more fun planned. We are going to add a day out this way. Tomorrow we will go to the phone store, then the Dayton Aviation Museum, then slowly make our way to New Kensington.  Sorry to everyone who was expecting us a bit earlier than we will arrive. I would love to call!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Suzy and Lon,
What a day you both have had. It is a terrible thing about your phone. Good Luck about getting it fixed. Maybe Mark will have some luck from his end.

Love you both,
Mom