Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 22: Mystic Seaport

This morning I got the oil changed in the car! I put 5052 miles on it on this trip! It was time.  Jiffy Lube seemed to do a good job. I was the only one there, so I got their undivided attention. While they were working on the car, I got a mission from Mark!
Go to the Book Barn and find some DK Eyewitness guides to places I might want to go. I got every single one I could find at the book barn. And then I got a flat rate box and mailed them home
The lonely goat was more active today. It was not as hot and people had not had much time to feed her yet.

It is already a little too warm for the black cat.   It was 86 when we were there.
Lon was getting warm and grabbed the first cold drink he could find!
Lunch at Dad's. Lon got the child size fish portion. I think Lon and I could have split it and done all right
Enjoying lunch with his balloon. They gave him a balloon is his favorite color. It is still flying around the living room
After lunch, Lon and I went to Mystic Seaport. Just because my son likes messing about in boats
Lon still looks small next to the anchor!
Every time we had been there before, we were not able to go inside the Thomas Crown Oyster Building.  This time, we could. Love the baskets. Lon thought the oyster rakes were cool.
Mystic Diorama! DIORAMA!
Come on Mom!  There is SO much to do here! LET'S GO!

The first stop we made was to the boat building shop. Lon got to build his very own boat.  I need to find dollhouse or rail road tires to use as bumpers!
Working hard. Since he was not able to use the hot glue gun, I had to glue the wood into place as he put it on. It was not my design, it was his.  We could not cut or sand the wood, so it is a little uneven
Showing off his tug boat to the nice re-enactor lady. She said she was impressed. The man at the ship carver shed was also impressed. For not having any tools he said that Lon did a great job
Next, Lon made a shell box. He put just the right amount of shells on it. He wanted to use the glue fun himself this time, I let him. He got some hot glue on his finger and handed back to me.  Lon told me that it would take some more time before he was ready to use the glue gun
There was even MORE crafty things today! Lon learned how to dip candles. One, dip, two shake, three four in the water
Rolling out the bumps while they are still a little warm. She told us it would take an hour or so to completely set, and the longer we let them cure, the longer they would burn. Lon wants to make more candles when we get home. He likes dipping them.
Hi Grandma! I am in front of your favorite cigar store Indian!
We went into the museum, because museums are wonderful.  Lon was amazed at the scrimshaw
Upstairs the museum had an exhibit called Playthings and Pastimes. Lon put on a puppet show. The story line: The captain was upset with his lazy crew. They would only work on the decks while the captain was watching. Once the captain moved to another part of the ship, they just lazed on deck
The lazy crew got their just desserts by being attacked by a giant squid!   They were tossed overboard, the squid ate them and since they were lazy no one missed them.
Not sure where he got all that from, it was very entertaining
Back downstairs to see the big sailboat model
Dressing up at the Children's place. This is Lon's last year at the Children's place.  After age 7, it is just not for him anymore. He made the most of the short time we had left to play today.
Playing outside on the grounded boats.  I was getting really really thirsty, so we went in search of lemonade. We found it and a penny machine. We got the pennies! My wallet was becoming very full with smashed pennies.  We needed to find a penny wallet!
Learning semaphore. Lon wants to get flags. We learned a little bit more about pulleys, we learned about jacob ladder's toys, a little about knots too!
It was a good day. Lots of fun outside, messing about with boats.
Just snacks for dinner, it is a little too warm for much else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog and the photos are so nice. Thanks for the Indian.
Have fun today, Wed.

Love you both,
Mom