Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Day 8: All in Pennsylvania

We started and ended today in Pennsylvania.
Starting Mileage: 2896.7
We left the hotel sort of late, about 10am. Got some great sleep!
The new sign for the high school my parents attended!
The farm where my father and grandfather grew up. Lon wanted to know why it was not still in the family.  He thought the place was pretty cool
The old spring house. I think it has been there since about 1909
Going back down Miller's Lane. I remember seeing foxes and cardinals when I was little.  We did not see any wildlife going up and down the road this morning.

Then it was off to Kennywood ! I had heard about this wonderful amusement park my entire life and this is the first time I got the opportunity to go. I am glad I was with Lon.
In front of the map
Waiting for his first ride. Garfield's nightmare. Or as it used to be known, the Old Mill
Waiting for lunch
Getting something to drink was more important than eating! It was almost 100 degrees!  Lon's hair looks a bit greasy because it is. He washed it last night, but I put sunscreen in it this morning. No sunburns today!
ICE SCREAM!!!
With Sprinkles
Two kinds
Riding the Carousel. This was our last ride. We rode the log fume, the Log Jammer, three times. Lon LOVED it. The first time, he was fairly worried about it, then at the end of the ride we had to do it again!
Lon needs lots more practice !
The sky was turning black, the wind was picking up. I told Lon it was time to go. Once it started to rain, he was okay with leaving. All the rides were put on hold till the rain stopped. We did not want to wait around that long
It was raining hard. Very hard. With thunder and lightening and wind. I ended up pulling over for a little while till the rain subsided enough so I could drive safely.   By 6:30 it was all over, we had gone through the big storm.
We stopped for gas on the turnpike at 7:24 Our mileage was 3097.1
11.71 gallons at $3.45 per gallon
Pennsylvania Farms. There were many. They were all pretty.
We arrived in Bethlehem at 9:12pm, just a little over an hour late.  Tomorrow we are here all day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you guys had fun at THE amusement park! Stay cool in the heat and drive safely.