Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Going North

We left a little late on Easter Monday, which was a really good thing. It gave Mom and Andy a chance to use the gift for the Napa Balloon flight! They had a great time.
Lon, Mark and I got on the road at 11:53. Mark wanted to leave before noon, and we did!

We went up through Napa Valley, in search of a tiny winery called Dutch Henry's. On our first trip to Napa, a very long time ago, Mark and I stumbled on this winery. Two guys who retired from something, opened this place and named it after the dog. I like that. It is good to name important things after the dog. We did find it. It is still small, but they now also grow olives, and it is certified Organic. We bought a new t-shirt and some olive oil. Then we continued north to the coast.


A nice photo somewhere in Napa.



On the road. We spent the night in Eureka and then headed north again. Through the redwoods and into Oregon.


Avenue of the Giants. Seriously big trees





Moonstone Beach





My *new* camera died after this picture. I learned that I really need to charge it every single night on vacation! I was able to use the older camera, the one that Mark used before he got the video camera. I LOVE having a backup camera!

Mark and Lon at Moonstone Beach, California.










The largest heard of Roosevelt Elk. At least that is what the roadside sign told us.

The Lady Bird Johnson Redwood Grove. This is the bridge to it from the parking lot. This time of year the road was NOT busy, but I am sure that during the summer months it would be much busier.





Wow, Dad that is one big tree.




We look like Lilliputians.



Just pretty.




A nice little bench was provided for Lon!




We take Great pictures, huh Dad!




Deer next to the wild elk warning sign.




Whew! Now I can take my shoes off!








Beauty shot of Oregon.







Now I am taking your picture Mommy!






It was very windy, very cold. Lon and Daddy stayed in the car while I walked to the arches and caves picture point. I was sort of upset with myself that I packed warm clothes for me and Lon when it was so warm in California. I bought him shorts to wear on Easter, it was too warm to stay in his sweater vest. Now, I was very pleased that he had his coat, long pants and long sleeved shirts!





We stopped for the night at Gold Beach, Oregon. We stayed at the Gold Beach Resort. This is now known as the brown hotel. Lon wants to go back to the brown hotel. He played on the beach, we had a large room on the beach, we also had a hot tub jacuzzi in the room. This is living!




Sand and rocks. Cool.





Let's not leave the beach, ever!


Ringing the bell at the Rogue River Museum.


The 1933 WPA bridge over the Rogue River. We spent a nice night at the Gold Beach Resort. The next morning, we were on our way north once more!

No comments: