Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2007

The Virginia State Fair

I was disappointed that we could not go to the Puyallup this year. I love that Fair. I was even more disappointed when I thought that the Virginia State Fair started NEXT weekend. Well, it started yesterday. We all went to the Fair. Lon was very excited to be going to see cows, pigs, sheeps, goats and chickens. Yes, he calls them sheeps. Everyone else gets an s, why not sheep too?
The first thing we did was get some food. Yummy fair food. To be honest, Puyallup has better. Crusty Pups, scones and onion burgers, can't be beat! They do not have a signature thing at the Virginia State Fair.









While they were finishing up, Lon and I went into the goat barn. Tent, actually. In 2009, the fair is moving to another location. This year it was still being held at the Richmond International Raceway. Lon waved hello to many many goats. The fun thing is that they let you pet any and all animals. There are no signs saying do not pet. Very nice.

Pet me some more!! Lon got a bit surprised by the little goat.







After the goats, we all went to look at the fish, seriously, they have fish here. In tanks. Lon said hi to them and then made fish faces at them. He did that to all the animals he said Hi to, tried to speak to them in their native language. He mooed at cows, etc.
Lon got his roasted corn! Super yummy stuff.










One of the booths showed us about Rescue and Search Dogs. The rescue dog LOVED Lon. The main reason was the corn cob, with some corn and butter still on it was beside Lon in his chair. Lon told me he wanted a dog.

PIGLETS!










Goats. There were LOTS of goats at the Virginia State Fair.


This is Valentine, she is only 4 months old, but she won't get to be too much bigger. Lon thought she was pretty.


Most of Lon's animal petting was done in the Scholarship building. The area was called Junior McDonald's Farm. Cute. I was talking to a random stranger in the building, nice guy, and another lady also started talking about how she could no longer eat meat, the animals were just so cute. As I walked away, I whispered loudly to the nice guy that they were mighty tasty too. He laughed out loud. A little while later we saw him near the turkey pen. He said something about cooking a turkey, and I said it was just too hot. He told me, no they are really selling turkey legs out there. I smiled and said, you are right there used to be about 12 more turkeys in this pen. He walked over to his teen aged daughter and said told her what I said. The look on her face was priceless and I am sorry I did not get that on film.






The goat wants that red balloon for a snack!!


More piglets. They are just so cute and tiny.

After we petted all the animals we went over to the Virginia Heritage park. That was interesting. Lots of Civil War stuff.
One of the reenactors let Lon play his drum. How cool was that? We all had a wonderful time at the fair. I am so glad we got to go. I love fairs, the animals, the food, just being able to walk around and see it all. Lon was telling me all about it as he went to sleep tonight.

No comments: