Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2007

Reenactors

We were coming back from Ukrop's grocery store, and along the side of the road there was a tent set up, with some people in it. I thought, wow, we should stop. So we did. It was in the Gander Mountain Parking Lot. I think Gander Mountain is sort of like REI. I missed that a couple of car parking spots down they had beagle pups that they were selling for 100. Darn, if I would have known that! (I found out about the pups when we had to go to PetCo to get a baby gate for Lon, and there were numerous people with tiny baby beagles.)




The guys showed Lon a rifle, he was fascinated.








Lon got to go inside one of the tents to see how they would have slept



In the Saturday FreeLance Star they had an article on Lee's Lieutenants. Another reenactor group. I read that to Lon. It is very interesting, they do strive for authenticity. So do the people we met on Highway 3. The people on Highway 3 were from the 47th Infantry Co. I. Longstreet's Corps. They had amusements from the period, and even candy. Necco Wafers. Those have been around for a long time. We spent some time talking to them and playing in the tents. They are recruiting for the Battle of Fredericksburg to be held this December. I think that would be so much fun! They have a website too, http://www.47thva.org/ . In my research on our family, it looks like we even had an ancestor who was fighting in the battle of Fredericksburg, but on the Union Side. William Horsfall, that is Mark's side of the family. This William Horsfall is not to be confused with the gentleman from Kentucky of the same name who earned the Congressional Medal of Honor.

This week I am sure we will find more fun things to do.

No comments: