Search This Blog

Monday, August 06, 2007

The Antiques Roadshow Spokane






THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN! I had a grand time. I got in about 7:40. Went upstairs to the convention center, everyone was pumped up and getting ready for the day. I did find someone to take my extra ticket (we really really missed you Godmother!) It was one of the volunteers, her husband wanted to come, so he got to use the ticket. I was pleased that it was going to be used.


We could only take photos out in the main hall, not once we got where the actual appraisals take place. We all lined up in our lovely Disney lines, snaking back and forth.

okay, so this lady was not so pleased that I snapped a couple of photos. I moved back a couple of places in line. The person in front of me had a suitcase full of 1960s Jim Beam bottles. They were full and one broke. I was getting a nasty headache from the fumes! One of the fun parts of the roadshow is that you get to see all the fun stuff people bring. There was a chicken made out of ceramic beads over a wire frame. Honestly, I would have probably passed the thing by. However, I talked to the guy after we left the appraisal hall and he got on TV! His silly chicken was worth about 15 thousand dollars! Holy Moley Rocky! COOL. Yes, my run of meeting someone at an event with ties to Ketchikan has once again happened. I am in the tribal arts line, very long line, waiting to get my basket appraised. The man one person behind me had a umiak. It was a toy, about 18 inches long. I saw it and told him I thought it was really great looking. He said thanks, he was going to see what they thought about it. His main reason was that he wanted to see if it was worth giving to a museum in Alaska. I asked if he was going to give it to the State museum in Juneau or the University of Alaska Museum in Fairbanks. He said he thought it came from Haines, so he would give it back there. I told him I liked Haines, I would go there twice a year. Twice a year? Once in the fall, and once again coming home in the spring. Take the Ferry from Ketchikan to Haines and then the Whitehorse cut off and then up to Fairbanks. Oh! I lived in Ketchikan. When? The early 80s, well not really Ketchikan, Quartz Hill. WOW!! You knew my Dad! I did? The Temsco helicopter pilot. He did and a couple other people I also know. Very funny. It never seems to fail. Get a bunch of people at an event and I will meet someone who knows someone I know or someone from Ketchikan. It is NOT that big a place!

My basket (picture to be added later) turned out to be a training basket, made of raffia, to teach people the proper way to weave a basket. Not a cedar basket at all. Worth about 50 to 70 dollars. Good to know. My bust, it is marked Dresden, is from 1910, not from 1750s. It is not Meissen. Since it was marked Dresden, it is not a fake, but a reproduction. since it has damage, it is only worth maybe 20 dollars. This is also good to know. The person who appraised the basket I had no clue on who she was. I think she was local. The man who appraised the bust was David Lackey, he is on TV alot. He was super nice and acted like I had all the time in the world for me. As I was leaving I saw the most gorgeous ivory cribbage board at the folk art table and stood there and listened to the appraisal. Very cool. Then, I did make a total fool of myself. I went into the Feedback booth. If I made a huge enough fool of myself I will be on TV! This was really fun. I am so glad I got tickets. Even though this blog is long, it only took about an hour and a half before I was all done. Time to go meet Lon and Mark and find out what they have been doing.

No comments: