Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2016

Camping at Kings Mountain State Park

This weekend was a Boy Scout camp out!  I was able to go with Lon this weekend.
We met up at the church at 7:45 am to load up and get on the road by 8.  It is a 3 hour drive upstate.

The boys campsite.  I was standing in front of my tent. The other adult tents were near mine.

There were latrines near the camp, about 274 steps from my tent, according to my fit bit in the middle of the night.  The running water was a pump near the latrines.  It worked well.

After the camp was set up we all had some free time.

This is a game called Viking Sword.  I am not sure how it is played, but the boys like it.

On our way to the camp ground we saw a History Farm, so off we went to that!

a little bit about the house.
The house was very small, but there were lots of out buildings, and land.  Not much time was spent in the actual house

Looking from the house, the forge and the loom building.

Lon and I learned about this at Middleton, it strips off bark and excess plant material from sugar cane and or sorghum.  The big copper bowl over a fire pit was close to the machine.

The garden is starting to come along!

They are going to have grapes!

One bull, but there were some cows and a mule and a horse in the other pasture.

We met this pup. She would smile when you scratched her tummy.  It is always fun to meet a nice dog

Near the barn,

making dinner. The boys are in charge of their own food. They make the menu, buy the food they need and prepare it.
It is a very big learning curve

The next morning, after the boys made breakfast and cleaned up, they hiked over to the National Park side of Kings Mountain. The hike was 5 miles round trip.   They were supposed to have renactors, from the Revolutionary war through the Vietnam era.  Sadly, because of the rain they all packed up and went home.

We ate our sack lunch at the National Park visitors center.

Back at camp, the boys were practicing starting a fire with steel and flint.
The leadership scouts made it back to camp. They went on a 16 mile hike.   All of these leadership scouts were either Eagle Scouts or going to be.

Lon being fire marshal. that means he has to stay by the fire and make sure all is well.

Playing cards. War!

It did not rain very much, if at all over night. The boys were packing up their kitchen and chuck box.

They learned that someone, anyone from their patrol needs to make sure the garbage bag is packed up and put in the trailer overnight.  They had raccoon visitors  There may or may not have been a bear who walked through the camp that night also, We just heard something big.
The raccoons were the ones that did the damage to the garbage bag. Yes, the boys had to pick it all up. The scouts left no trace.

It was a fun camp out. Lon and I both enjoyed ourselves.

No comments: