Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Lon Builds a Birdhouse!

Today was birdhouse building day at school. The wonderful Home Depot, provided all the tools, and materials that we needed to have each and every child in the school build a birdhouse!  

The tables being set up. Yes, they were only the Home Depot five gallon buckets high. I felt my age as I had to bend over all day and hammer! The first things I told the kids at my table was, 1. Hammers should only hit nails, not each other. And I will not give you a hammer till the safety glasses go on!








They came in waves all day long. I had two from each group to help, I think there were 8 groups. Half an hour each group. I only took pictures of Lon. I was his helper. His buddy in the project was Braydon.  Lon did his best.  I think this is the first time he has ever built anything with a hammer, nails and wood.
The first strike of the hammer was to his thumb. He rallied quickly and was able to finish the project.
All smiles as he gets the hang of this!
Holding the hammer better. He wanted to use two hands to give him enough power.  He was pretty impresses his old Mom could drive a nail in just a few hits.
The front, the only section we had left to do was the roof! He did a great job. We are going to sand it and stain it and hang it outside this weekend.  I will add a photo of that to the blog when it is all ready!
After school it was so nice we went to St. Edwards Park.  For just a bit. It was fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job and good for Home Depot. Are you going to paint he house in bright colors? sorry the nail Lon hit wan his thumb nail! That hurts.

Mom