Search This Blog

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kids of All Kinds

Today, since Dad had to work (bummer) Lon and I found some great fun things to do! First we went to the Special Olympics Track and Field Event up in Shoreline. The garmin knew how to get there or I would have been completely lost!
We watched a few events and talked to some people. Lon learned alot about people with different abilities. He understands that they are just people. In the car, he said some people can do the same stuff I can, some can't and I can't do stuff some people can. It really is no big deal. Love my boy.
From there we went over to the International Children's Friendship Festival at the Museum of History and Industry.
The Junior Pipe Band! These are kids from ages 8 to 18. They are wonderful!  They were outside when we pulled into the super crowded parking lot.  After driving around we decided to pull closer to the Pipes just to hear them practice. Well, lo and behold! When we drove around the back there were 4 open parking spaces! Pipers bring good luck!  Thanks Pipers. Even better, I talked to the Pipe Master for a few minutes, he gave me the name of a nice lady who sews all the kilts and she can find me the cotton tartan I am going to need in a few months to make someone's quilt! She said she even has the clan I am looking for at her house! I LOVE the Pipes!  Lon said it looked like a lot of fun, but he wants to play the drums. So we will look into that part a little more. Yes, I got the information on that too.
All the different booths, the first one is Turkey. The arch is actually made from cut blocks of Styrofoam. How cool is that? There were a number of other countries represented, Ireland, Germany, South Korea, Iran (although the woman who was manning the booth was on the phone when we walked by) Peru, El Salvador, Ethiopia. Mexico and Somalia had a booth, but no one was there.  It was fun. Lon and I were both busy collecting his stickers for his passport and talking to people about the countries. Lon picked up a brochure on German Language School.
Part of the Museum was open too! They are moving  to a new place so not everything was open, but we made the most of what was open. Lon loved it! I am so happy he likes museums.  The dioramas still rule!
Part of the Old Seattle exhibit, this is in the classroom. It was fun that Lon could do things!
The bank. Not sure if it is a deposit or withdrawl he wants to make.
Listening to something with his Turkish  flag
Running through Old Seattle, to see what else is here. We saw the exhibit on the Great Seattle Fire and looked at the diorama of Seattle, it showed which buildings were made of brick or stone or wood. Mostly, they were made of wood. I asked Lon what he thought would happen if one building caught on fire. He was right, they all would go up! I am pretty sure most of the buildings did go up in flames.
Working the slime line. They did not call it that, but they had a timer on it to show you how fast you had to cut, gut, cut. Hard work and lots of it.
Printing out the news. This was part of the AYP (Alaska  Yukon, Pacific Exhibit.
I would have loved to have seen this stained glass in color. It looks like it was HUGE. Not sure exactly where this was in Seattle.
Lunch break. I forgot to get some money, all I had was 5 dollars. The hot dog, with nothing else was 4. SO Lon had a hot dog.  I got him some ice cream when we got home.
Back up to the room with all the countries. We forgot to get Somalia, it was an unmanned booth in the corner. But we got our last sticker for the passport. Lon wanted to work on some arts and crafts projects.
This is what he painted. Pretty cool. It is a tile. I am going to see about putting some sealer on it.
Thinking about getting his face painted. He was explaining to the nice lady from Ukraine what he wanted. Lon had to draw it on the table for her to see.
Lon, Scarface.  Which is what he wanted.
It would have been fun to stay for the Irish Step Dancers. I always have enjoyed watching them.  However, we were still a bit hungry, it was going to be another hour or so till they came on.  So sadly we decided to go home. I have to figure out the garmin a bit more. It really really wanted me to go over the 520 bridge on the way home. I really really did not want to do that.  We found 5 north and headed home around the top of the lake.  We had a great day outside and in. We will look for this festival again next year. We will bring a lunch and look for the Pipers again next year. And hopefully stay for the Irish Step Dancers.

No comments: