Search This Blog

Sunday, December 21, 2008

More Snow!

This is very unusual for the Seattle area. I do not remember ever seeing this much snow for this long. People are talking about a storm in '56. The '96 storm and the '90 storm did not last this long. They are talking that the snow will be here at least till after Christmas. I am going to call everyone we invited to dinner and cancel. We will have another party later. Even if for some reason it warms up and the snow starts to melt away, there is just too much of it for it all to go away.
Mark shoveling off our walk. It was a noble effort, but it was not destined to stay clear for long. If anyone saw the Seahawks game, yes, it really was snowing that much here. On our side of the lake it just kept snowing and so far, has not stopped. It is still snowing right now at 11:30pm




My little snow covered bear!



I made Lon fun pancakes and bacon for breakfast.

Even though the snow kept us inside most of today, we did do some fun things. We made chex mix, LOTS of chex mix. HEAVY on the peanuts and the Worcestershire sauce. Yummy!



We put together neighbor trays of cookies. We delivered to all the neighbors we can walk to. The neighbors I have to drive to will be delivered as soon as I can drive!

I will post a close up of our tray with the list of cookies on it, so I can remember what I did this year for next year.



The measure stick at noon.




The measure stick at 11 pm. I could not get it all the way down to the table! It is close though.



Our deck chairs.


The new LED lights are not warm enough to melt the snow. It is a pretty effect!

Tonight's view of the luminarios. Almost all under snow! Tomorrow they will probably be all under the snow.

Someone was asking me why people are so freaked out by the snow here. Yep, people are weirded out by this much snow. There is no preparations for this much snow, this long. When I lived in Alaska, I put snow tires on my car in November (or earlier). I had chains in the trunk, along with bags of sand. There were people in my neighborhood who had personal snow plows that kept the side street/driveways clear. I do not have snow tires for my car. I no longer own chains as I loaned them to someone and they never came back. No great loss, until this storm. I do not know a soul in my neighborhood who owns a snowplow. The news was making a big deal of the wind that never came. They told everyone to prepare for massive power outages, I am prepared as I can be for that, but it did scare some people I know. This is why it is different here. There is no need for the city to own snow plows for an event like this. If this happens once every 50 years or so, people will cope as best they can. If this happens next year too, then we should start looking into getting the city better equipped. Our neighborhood will not get plowed out. We have compact snow and ice on the street. It is not safe for me to drive on. Lon is staying home. Tomorrow, I promise LOTS of pictures of Lon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Stay safe and warm.
Love,
Mom