Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Baptism, part one







Lon being Baptized



At our Church, babies are brought into the church naked, wrapped in a towel. You can keep a diaper on them, to be whisked off at the very last moment. Mom and Dad and the two Godparents each keep a hand on the child to show support, for now and later in his life. Our Godparents are Carol and Damian. Wonderful people. Carol is in Oklahoma and Damian lives in Connecticut. It is wondeful to have friends who are willing to come and share the big moments in life even though they live far away. Our church had four familes that baptized 5 children that morning. We got to be last in line. After we baptized Lon we went back up to the alter with everyone else, then all the families left the church to cloth the babies/children in their new white clothes.

The newly baptized

Getting the baby dressed

After we all proceeded back into the church, finished Mass and had some great family photos taken with Father Steve.


The family

We went from the church back to the house for a wonderful party. It was not raining. Usually, at parties I take the TVs and hide them. (after one party where someone watched a stupid sticom at a party, I just hide the tvs) However, not only was sunday the baptism, but it was the playoffs. Steelers were playing the early game and Seahawks were playing the second game. I hide the remotes and had the games on. Every so often I would sneek downstairs to the family room and check the score and report back to Grandmother Presken. Grandma, Steelers are winning. They are still ahead. She was happy they won. By the time the Seahawks were on the party had wound down enough that most of us were in the family room watching. Lon was watching his team win! Lon loves football. He doesn't seem to have the build for the game though, tall and lean does not really equate to a football. I am thinking track. hurdles.

anyway, back to the party. We had a ton of food. As usual. We did break down and buy the cake, we just ran out of time! But it was okay. The biggest hit was the rice krispie treats. My brother in law, Kent, loves rice krispie treats. When he came to the house the night before the big party he asked if I had made any. Um, no, did not really cross my mind, but what a great idea. It takes about 5 minutes to make them. why not? I had all the things on hand. I was going to make them and send them out to them later. I had about 10 mintues so I made them. As I was melting marshmallows, butter, and the secret ingredient that makes my rice krispie treats better than anyone elses. My sister came in and wanted to know if Kent asked me to make them, her tone made my mind scream LIE LIE NOW OR WE ALL DIE. No, of course not, I was going to make them and this was all one big coincendence. Kent then also lied, but of course Karen can see right through him. For someone who lives in DC you would think he would be better at lying. Rice Kripsie treats were the biggest hit of the party. They were gone within 10 minutes of us arriving back at the house. Poof. They evaporate. And it was not just the children who ate them.

My nephew Matt is a very cute, very smart boy. He will be 3 (!) at the end of february. When we were watching the Seahawks win we had a plate of brownie bites on the table. He was pretty impressed that grownups liked brownies too. So he walked around handing them to the grownups. He handed one to me and said, grownups like brownies too. I looked at him, very seriously, and said, Matt, I want you to remember this, Aunt Suzy might be an adult but she is not a grownup. okay? He looked at me for a minute and then handed me another brownie bite! Smart boy.

Matt, his Granmother, GreatGrandmother & sister

We did not get many pictures of Matt at the party, he was all over the place, in constant motion. I have a feeling that is what I have to look forward to ! That is going to be so fun!

1 comment:

Jim said...

The initial baptism shot is a total contest winner too, I love it.

Too funny about the Rice Krispie treats, but you know, those really ARE good. I would not have thought of those either!

I'm glad you set Matt straiht early in life about grownup vs. adult. Its a subtle but very distinct difference. Brownie bite, please! :)

Glad you had a nice turnout for Lon and his special day.