Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veteran's Day 2015

Lon had a Veteran's Day assembly today. It was a lot like last years.  The weather was perfect. 

The kids filing into the stadium.  The stadium is across the street. Even though the high school moved, they still use this field. 

I found out I could go sit with Lon's class, so I did. I sat in the row in front of Lon. He seemed very happy about that. 


The Veterans lined up on the field by service.  When they took their seats in the stands, we noticed the Marines still marched the best.  

They played the song of each branch of service. 



Getting ready to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Lon did raise his hand to over his heart right after I snapped this picture. 

Our guest speaker was Staff Sargent Kingdom.  The sound system was not the best but we did hear him.  His message was to be thankful and to do your very best. 

The end of the program, we sang a song the kids practiced. I did not know it, so I stayed silent. Lon sang for the both of us.  

It was a very nice program.  We silently left the stadium, the kids did great with that.  Once we were out of the stadium,  I did a mini history lesson with Lon and and one of his friends. About the Marine's anthem. From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli.    Lon has yet to start rolling his eyes when I do that. He actually seemed interested. Both of them did. 
The program got over 16 minutes before school let out, and Lon's teacher let me take him home then instead of trying to get into car rider line.  Whew!  Next year we will see what middle school does for Veteran's Day. 

No comments: