Search This Blog

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Festival of India
















Festival of India is held over on Alkai. Alkai is wonderful. It is where the first white settlers of Seattle landed, across the bay from the Seattle of today sits. The Festival is scheduled to start at noon. We got there a bit early so we could get parking, which is always an issue on Alkai. Lon got to play in the water for a little while. He loves water!

After playing a while in the ocean we went to the Festival. There were dances. There was a free feast, donations requested (we gave). It was a potato curry, spicey saffron rice with walnuts, a sort of tabbuleh, a soup, and a cream of wheat with blueberries. There was a tent of traditional dolls. I looked at that for a long time. I still love dolls. Lon really was not interested in the dolls.

They also had a cooking demonstration. I did get the recipes.

.

Lon had his face painted for the first time. He was only a little wiggly

Some photos of children at the Festival. I did ask first before I took their photos. The henned hands are so interesting to me. I was thinking of having that done, but I have to use my hands-- I do not have time to wait for it to dry.

The face painting and craft tent.

The ferries going back and forth to Bainbridge or Bremerton. Perhaps tomorrow we will be on one !

2 comments:

Jim said...

Wow, you live in a culturally diverse area! I used to sit next to an Indian girl in class who would Henna her hands when she got bored. Totally an art form!

suzy said...

I love henna. I can't wait till I have a couple free hours to do that. Yes, Seattle is very diverse. It is good to get out and sample what is offered around here. Next weekend is A Taste of Korea!