Search This Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2006

BrasilFest!


This was fun! Miss Sarah, Lon and I went to Seattle Center today to enjoy BrasilFest. We had a good time. The Fest itself was small, but good. They had Fejoada Completa. Yummy. I am glad I got to see a plate before I ordered, it was HUGE for $5.00. I got one and Sarah and I split it. We also got Guarana! Super yummy soda pop! It sort of tastes like a cross between Cherry Coke and Ginger Ale. It is also highly caffeinated. Natural caffeine, not added to it.

Lon did not have any guarana. I tried to give him some Fejoada, but he declined. Even the plain rice.

But he made it for it with other snacks.
There were two ladies in the typical costume of Bahia, they were seeking donations for the fest and also giving out wish ribbons. In Azul, Verde, and Amarillo. (Blue, Green and Yellow. I may have spelled the colors wrong...) You tie the ribbon around your wrist with three knots and make a wish with each knot. Once the ribbon falls off naturally, your wishes will come true. I enjoyed the fest, I will go back again next year. One of the bonus features for me was that the lady who was selling the guarana, gave out business cards for a Mercado do Brasil. It is on the Ave, and I can get to the U district without having to mess with the freeways! Super bonus! I will defiantly be going there!
The space needle. It is the dominant feature of the Seattle Center. There was a gaggle of Japanese women tourists. They spotted Lon! A cry went up and through all of them. They were very excited to see him. They took alot of pictures of him and them. The light turned to cross the street and we all had to run across to make the light. They were very funny. They did not speak much English and I know almost no Japanese. Lon will be in lots of Japanese scapbooks!

A bonus! We found a place to make a smashed penny! Lon has another one for his collection.

One more bonus, for all of you who have read the blog for a while will remember the great and lamented Dr. Suess hat. We lost it a long time ago. Since the Children's Museum shop is in Seattle Center, we stopped in. They had ONE left, and it was on sale! yea! We have the Dr. Suess hat back!! I am so happy! I will have photos of Lon modeling the hat once it gets cold enough. It was 87 today so I was not about to make him wear it for photos!

I figured we were close enough to the Market to go down there to get a present for Mark's birthday. (Saturday) He likes something called Lanjager. I think it means walking stick in German. It is a smoked sausage. The ONLY place that was closed in the entire crowded Market today was the German Meat Market. Of course! So we did not get anything there. There might be a German Market on the eastside, I will look. The Market is really crowded. I forgot how many people go there during the summer. A nice sunny summer day. Not going back there till October!

We had one more mission. Since we were on the waterfront, I could easily get to Boricchini's bakery. On Rainer. They have the best baked goods, and a deli and gelato. Mark loves the Pistachio. The last 6 times I have been there, no pistachio. Rats. This time, they had it! Yes! One of the first times I brought it home, Miss Sarah was over and asked what he was eating and he told her frog spit ice cream. She tried it anyway. So now she calls it frog spit ice cream and will share it with Mark. They also have a new thing, 24 flavors of soft serve ice cream. Of course, they ran out of the soft serve with the person ahead of us in line. It takes 20 minutes to get a new batch going. We needed to go home, so alas, no soft serve. Not like we suffered, we had pan au chocolate, cherry croissants, a sugar donut for Lon. Found out he preferred the croissants. He has good taste. We also got Mark some black bread. After all his birthday is coming up!

No comments: