Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

If It Is Monday We Must Be Going To Connecticut!

On Monday morning, we waved goodbye to my mother as she went to work, started loading up the jeep with our overnight stuff and snacks. Lon did not have a clue on what awaited him. Mark and I thought that since we were so close it would be nice to take a drive up to Connecticut and see his parents. Lon should meet his Grandfather! So off we went. I moved the front passenger seat of the jeep as far forward as it would go and Lon and I sat in the back seat and Mark drove. It was very comfortable. We took I-95 up. Mark thought we would avoid the George Washington Bridge in New York City and go up farther north to take the Tappan Zee Bridge. He could have been telling me that he was going to take the detour to Mars for all I really understood any of that. We missed the exit to go north and took the George Washington Bridge. It was easy. The traffic we were worried about never materalized. I was sitting in the back gawking at the sights of Manhattan. Even though it was farther south. I have only been to New York City once. I am still in awe that that many people live in one place. I think that more people live in one large apartment complex than live in my hometown!

Lon in his Curious George polar fleece hat. I think we were at a rest stop somewhere in New Jersey. We were on the turnpike.

It took just about 8 hours to get to Mystic from Fredericksburg. That included all our stops on the way. I was thinking about what kind of souveniers I could get for Lon. I get myself a sterling silver charm from everywhere I have ever been. (I am up to 7 bracelets now). I was trying to think of something to get Lon along those same lines. Something small, something that would be cool when he was 12 and 26. hmmm. Then at the rest stop in Maryland, there it was! A smashed penny machine! PERFECT. I still have some of mine from when I was a kid. They are great! Now I will look for smashed penny machines where ever we go! Lon now has smashed pennies from Maryland, New York (New Jersey really) and three from various Smithsonians. We did not get to the shops as Mystic, so next time we will get one from there.

We found our hotel, a Residence Inn in Mystic. It was really nice. Mark was in the office checking in and there was a man walking his 8 month old baby girl bassett hound. He was from Virginia, his company moved him to Conneciticut for 30 days, but he has been there 90 so far. Poor guy. The bassett was a nice tri color girl with polka dots. Super cute girl.

We called Mark's Dad and they came over with dinner. It was really nice, they had us already checked in and when we got up to the room, there were flowers in the room, and some stuff for dinner. Creme brulee in the fridge. Dad and Maureen came over with a yummy beef stew, bread, green beans, wine and coffee. The meal was great. It was even better to see Mark's Dad and Maureen.

Lon with his Grandfather

The three boys

That night we could not find the thermostat for the room, so we were all really cold! It was 8 degrees out side! brrr. We all cuddled up in the bed. That was fun. Lon likes to sleep next to us. I put him in the baby bjorn carrier so that if I fell asleep he would not roll away. He seemed to like that.

The next morning we checked out and went to see Mark's mom down in Niantic.


Lon and Grandma

On Grandma's porch overlooking the pond

We called up Godfather Damian and Uncle Jeffy and we met up with them at the Niantic Diner. Good breakfast place.

Godfather Damian

Lon, Damian and Jeff

After a wonderful breakfast we went to the beach called Hole in the Wall. It was seriously cold. still. We took Lon to the Pacific, so we wanted to take him to the Atlantic also. See previous post for the Pacific photo.


Lon at the Atlantic!


Grandma, Uncle Eric, Lon and Mommy, and Daddy.

Uncle Jeff was taking the photo.

After our Atlantic photo session, we went and warmed up back at Grandma's house. Then we were off, back to Fredericksburg.

Lon started to hate the car on the way back. At one rest stop he grabbed the door jam of the car not wanting to go back in the car! Poor little guy. He is just now starting to get used to the fact that every time he goes into the car he is not going to be spending 8 hours in the car!

We took a scenic detour on the way home, down through Delaware and over the Chesapeke Bay Bridge. We hit the bridge just at sunset. It was so pretty. The pictures do not do it justice!


It was a good trip to Connecticut. We all enjoyed ourselves. We made it back to Karen's house before my mother got off work. We stayed at Karen's house that night.

more on our trip as the week goes on. Should I put up more pictures? I am not sure. I have TONS of everything...

2 comments:

Jim said...

Oh, you are still on the East! :)

Great shots Suzy!

suzy said...

no, I am back, just catching up