Search This Blog

Saturday, March 03, 2012

On the Briny Seas

Lon wanted to be in the all-school play. It was put on by Adventure Children's Theatre and the PTA.  the play took a week of rehearsal, after school every day from 3:30 to 5:45, dress rehearsal day we were there till almost 9pm.  Lon really really wanted to do this. So we did. He went to every practice, did everything he was supposed to do, did his homework and aced his spelling test.  Which is what was asked of him.

Can you find Lon's name? He wrote out his own "bio"! Grandmothers, you will get a copy of the program.
Waiting to audition. Learning to wait silently is hard.
Showing Director Sarah what he's got!
Being given the part of Flounder in the cargo.
Getting some directions from Director Chris
Cool Boys. Waiting to go out to their spot to learn their lines.
Warm ups!
Learning blocking.
Starting to come together!
DRESS REHEARSAL!  It was really fun to see it coming together.  We had a great pot luck that night.  Lon was not so sure there would be something he liked, but someone brought in a Costco pizza and he was happy. I had fruit and pasta salad!  Yummy!
I did not get any pictures of his first performance on Friday night. I was a backstage chaperon. I was reading stories to the cargo while the play was going on and they were not on stage. Most of the boys really liked the book! (Time Warp Trio)  I did get this photo ! Mark said Lon did a great job! 
On Saturday afternoon, the matinee performance, I got to sit in the audience and watch the play.  Lon did great on his line delivery.  Where do I go? I am floundering here! 
The mermaids dance came together nicely. They are such cuties!
This little mermaid found lots of reasons to talk to Lon, then run away. 
After Lon's cargo stint, he becomes a villager. With a mustache and a goatee.  He liked that.  At first he did not want me to put the eye make up on him because boys don't wear makeup. But I explained to him that actors wear makeup so the audience can see things like your eyes. OH!   Then he got it and let me put it on. The blush, and facial hair was applied by other people. The eyeliner had to be done by me, for health reasons (pink eye)
Then it was over. The week went by very fast. I was not sure when this started that a week of practice would be enough, but the play was fun, the kids had a blast. Then it was time for cake! 
Lon got an award, a gold star, for empathy. Helping out his fellow cast members.  Not everyone got a star.  Lon wants to do this again next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great. I am so proud of Lon. We are waiting for the movie.

Love you,
Mom