Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Adventure Continues

I know I am a bit behind on my postings. I am trying to catch up! 3 more blogs coming quick!
After Matthew's First Holy Communion and party, Lon and I went back to Fredericksburg with my mom.Monday  afternoon we were going to spend our last night back East with Karen! SO much fun!
Monday morning was another beautiful day! We decided to see Chatham House and have lunch before driving up to Karens.
Looking for the big house!
The house was remodeled in 1922, that is when most of the statuary was put in. It was gorgeous. The gardens were starting to bloom. Roses and Peonies, the smell was glorious!
If this is a Civil War site, I can run, right?


Looking out the window. I think those little nooks would be a wonderful place to read on a rainy afternoon. Lon was waiting for the movie to start. We watched the movie, it was new since the last time we were there. Very informative and Lon sat still through the entire 1/2 hour movie. That impressed me!
Dioramas! Explaining what he learned during the movie to Grandma.
The pontoon bridge. Lon wanted to see it in action. He wanted to know if any of the real pontoon bridge from 1862 was still around. We had to tell him it was not. He thought that was silly, didn't they know this was important and kids in the future would want to see it? 


Mom bought him the wool union cap. Lon loves that hat! I really like this photo. Lon told me he did not want me to tell anyone he scraped his knee pretty bad running down the original driveway. But that is the reason he is holding the leg of his shorts. 
The gazebo. Part of the roof fell off. I think they did not take off the wet leaves. It is near a big tree, and the water rotted the concrete. They are going to fix it. I was thinking that it would be a lovely place to enjoy the afternoon.
Another view
The greenhouse was added in 1930. I was thinking that the gardens are so much a part of Chatham, that perhaps a great way to make some money for the house would be to sell Chatham House Heirloom Seeds. Use a vintage style seed packet. Wouldn't that be cool? I would buy them!
A Lon sized arbor.
That was all from Chatham house. We then went to the drug store downtown and got Lon some band aids for his knee. We had asked about a good place to eat lunch that was NOT Sammy Ts. They suggested Castiligias. WOW! It was fantastic! Exceptional service. Impressive food. Lon got a coloring book to use while he waited.
Lon's very big slice of cheese pizza. He ate it all. He informed us that it was the best pizza ever, it was AWESOME! I had bucatini, it was perfect. Mom had shrimp scampi with tomatoes that she thought was really good too.  It is a great place and next time we are in the area we are going!
That ended our time in Fredericksburg. We made it up to Karens just in time for Matthew's baseball game. It was fun watching him play.
Lon and the girls studying something very interesting on the ground. They were on the other side of the field. It was so nice having my super zoom lens on the camera. I could watch the game and watch Lon too!
Lon and Ing talking about how hard it is to be almost 6. They got along great. It was good to see them playing together. Lon and Ing both said they had a great time. Then it was pizza time!  Tomorrow was going to be another busy day!










No comments: