Search This Blog

Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Portland Connecticut Fair



This is the last fair of the year in Connecticut.
It is a very small town fair. They had two quilts entered. No, I will not talk about my view of the quality of the work.


All the animals, but the cows were in one barn. Very fun. LOTS of goats. If I have not mentioned it, I love goats. We saw baby rabbits, but no pigs of any kind. I thought it might be because rabbits, goats, chickens can be more urban, but they had cows. Which are definitely not urban.


We saw ponies! They had a pen to feed goats, a pen with one peacock and two ponies and one horse. The Shetland pony was the one Lon rode. They had a white pony, who was larger and the horse was brown.


Lon got his pony ride. Lon loved it.
After a while, the lady who was holding onto Lon, let go! She let him ride all by himself. No straps even! It was good.

Giant pumpkins! Some weighed in at over 700 pounds. Those are monsters!
We stopped for lunch. Lon ate some hot dog and most of this kid size small ice cream. The amount of ice cream they give here is amazing! There was a sign in front of the ice cream stand asking for quarters, as I fished out the required quarters I asked for lots and lots of sprinkles. He did give us lots and lots of sprinkles!


After our nutritious lunch, we watched one heat of tractor pulling. We LOVE tractor pulls. How fun is this, we watched front wheels come off the ground, some guys did clean full pulls, but most were not able. Lon was standing on my lap watching the tractors.

Regrading the pull area. At this point we were all ready for a walk.



We walked all around the booths, looked at the classic cars they had on display. Some were incredible. I found the boy scouts and got myself another tin of nut carmel corn. I gave the first one I bought to my mother so she had something to munch on during her trip back to Virginia.


Uncle Jeffy! What is that on your shoulder?

I have never seen a dragonfly land on a person before! The little creature stayed there for a long time, long enough for me to get very close and take a photo!

Uncle Jeffy and Daddy went home in Uncle Jeffy's truck. They stopped by Godfathers for a while. Mommy,Grandmalyn and Lon went home the long way. We stopped by Pasta Vita, got some yummies for dinner.
In Grandmalyn's mail there was a new toy catalog that Lon needed to look at and circle what he wants. He looked at the catalog all evening. We did get Lon a new game at the grocery store (we needed bread, which they did not have at Pasta Vita) A Cars Domino set. Lon played with Daddy, Uncle Jeffy and Mommy. He is really enjoying the game. He is following the rules. Sometimes he wins and sometimes he doesn't, but he wants to keep playing. The dominos come in a nice tin that will be a good place to keep them.
Today was fun, we love little fairs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another great day on vacation. Thanks again for the blog.
Loe you,
Mom