Search This Blog

Monday, November 06, 2006

A Cultural Weekend


On Saturday we went to the Polish Home Annual Bazaar. Very fun. We got lunch there. They had a choice of Sausage, stuffed cabbage or Peirogi. Each choice came with a side of cabbage, hot or cold, and a choice of soup. Red Borscht or Dill Pickle. Mark had the stuffed cabbage and dill pickle soup. The soup is a taste I think I would learn to like, but the red borscht I had was very good. I had the peirogi. It was a meat peirogi. I had never had them filled with meat before. My mother said that her Grandfather called them Russian peirogi, since poor Poles never had meat filled anything!

Lon had some of everything. The Borscht he would not even try. Nothing doing with that. But the kruschiki, he ate. I have a feeling I am going to make those at Christmas. Kruschiki are the fried cookies. Mark enjoyed his dinner but he did tell me that my stuffed cabbage was much better. What a nice guy.
Upstairs, they had a market. Polish pottery, which I love, amber, which I wish I had more of. They also had food. I got some sauerkraut, horseradish with beets and a jar of dill pickles. The sauerkraut and beets with horseradish I got for Christmas Eve. Mark has never participated in a real Polish Christmas Eve. We are going to have one this year. I have been to one. Since GiGi will be here, we are going to do it! I remember one dish of barley and prunes and eating a whole clove of garlic at the end. It will be fun and good to do every so often. Keep the old traditions alive.
The next day Miss Sarah had to get some pictures of a cultural event for her photography class. I read in the paper that Crossroads Mall was having a Cultural Crossroads event. Sounded fun. So we, Miss Sarah, Lon and I went. There were dancing groups from all over the world, Brasil, Ireland, Germany, Hungary, Africa. When we were there they had a series of Middle Eastern dancing groups. We saw Daughters of the Wind and Shahrazad. Lon enjoyed them. When the dancers clapped he did too. He got very into watching the dancing girls.


Shahrazad

No comments: