Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day Two on the Oregon Coast

Sunday morning we woke up, checked out and hit the road, our destination was just up to Seaside for the night. Our first stop was Cape Foulweather. It did not live up to it's name, even if the day was not nearly as nice as the day before!
The view from the lookout

Lon wanted to wear Eddie when Daddy told him it was 500 feet up. Lon told us Eddie was for safety and he wanted to be safe!
Lon is telling Daddy about kelp. I had just finished reading the marker to him, and he had to tell Daddy about what he learned!

500 feet up, I think I have a photo of myself and my sister at this same spot

Looking out at the sea.
The Devil's Punchbowl. It was VERY windy!
We could not get the machine to work, it took our quarter but we could not get it to open up to look out! 
Driving Big Red!
Somewhere at the side of the road, in a turn out, they had this anchor. I am not sure exactly where it is, but south of Tillamook, and north of Cape Foulweather.... Perhaps I should have written this down at the time

Another roadside stop along the Oregon Coast. We stopped and took lots of photos. I think somewhere in my garage is a box of photos of the coast from my childhood. It is just so pretty!
An Oregon State park just south of Pacific City.Bob Straub Park
Boy, beach, stick, a trifecta!
I love the reflection. It was windy and cold!
Lon had a great time with that stick. He wanted to take it home. We convinced him that he should leave it on the parking lot side of the dunes for someone else to use. He finally agreed to that
The colors of the sky and sea are just about the same
When we walked back to the car, we saw this deer, standing there watching us. There were plenty of cars and people but she did not seem to be afraid.
The haystack at Cape Kiwanda. We played alot there. We stayed by the remenants of a beach fire. It was still giving off warmth! We watched someone try to drive their sedan onto the beach, and of course, they got stuck.  They did not know how to get unstuck.  A kind stranger with a truck towed them out.
Tillamook! Lon watched them slice huge blocks of cheese into the two pound baby loaf size and wrap them. They were doing pepperjack that day.
Lon finally had a good ice cream cone. We got some ice cream in downtown Lincoln City. It tasted like it had been there since the end of last summer. The ice cream at Tillamook was wonderful. Lon had chocolate, of course. Mark had a white licorice and I had Oregon strawberry. Each choice was yummy. I am assuming Lon's was good, he would not share.
The two main reasons we picked the Shilo Inn is it was on the beach, and it had a pool.  The room was so noisy! Sunday night they had a live band on the floor above us. I wish they would have told us that at check in. I finally called the front desk at 11pm and asked them what time this was going to end.  I was not pleased and the response we got at checkout from the front desk was horrible.  I doubt we will stay there again. 

No comments: