Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Grandmother Presken

This morning, January 18, 2010, Louise Presken passed away peacefully in her sleep. She was born April 10, 1916. If you would have told her at her First Holy Communion that she would have lived in Alaska, been on a cruise, stepped on a glacier or flew on airplanes and helicopters she would have looked at you like you were from mars. Yet, she did all that and more. Lon loved his Gigi, and the feeling was mutual.

This is the very first picture I could find of Grandmother. It is her First Holy Communion. She would have been in second grade, about 1924.

When Grandmother was born they waited 10 days to register her birth with the county as her parents thought she might not survive. She outlived all but her youngest sister.

Her wedding photo, April 10, 1939. I always thought that Grandfather looked a little like Walt Disney. He was an artist, a sign painter for Alcoa. He died in 1957. They did not even have 20 years together. Her dress, borrowed from Aunt Pauline. I am sure she is talking to Grandfather Adolph now about how he could leave her alone so long! The few times I
was able to visit her while she was in her home in Pennsylvania something would go wrong with the house and she would mutter at Adolph something about how he should be taking care of this.

This has always been one of my favorite photos of Grandmother. I took it at a family trip to Disney World in 1999. We were watching the 3 o'clock parade.


Lon with his Gigi. Lon was 3 days old. . She was always there for him, when ever they were together all her time was devoted to him. She didn't have to worry about anything else but him. Lon loved the full attention. He still loves his Gigi. He told me this morning after I told him, that it is okay Momma, Gigi still loves us and we can still talk to her. Yep, little one we still can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Suzy,
You did a great job.
Ithink my dad died in 1957. No big deal
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Susan,
Such a nice tribute to your Grandmother. She was a special lady. I will count her as one of my blessings.
Vicki Campbell
Ketchikan

Anonymous said...

I cried when I read this but it also makes me smile, your Grandmother was one special lady. God placed her on this earth to leave her mark and she has.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Sue and Pat Bethel

Jim said...

Suzy,

Great photos; Grandmother is no doubt smiling! Lon's comment is right on, you've done a great job with him too :)