Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Christmas Cookies


I figure I should make a list of what cookies we made this year! We had mincemeat tassies, pecan tassies and cheesecake tassies. Since I got the tassie "tamper" from Pampered Chef these cookies have gone from an all day cookie to one we can do in one morning! Nice. We had only two biscotti this year, or as Lon calls them, scotti. We had white chocolate peppermint and Christmas (anise and candied fruit), Lime pistachio snowballs (they were new, they were just okay) as were the ricotta cookies. The coffee cookies were yummy. Thin crispy. The s'mores cookies were also new, but these were a BIG hit. Lon called them the good sprinkle cookie. We also made Russian Tea Cakes, like always. We made a gingerbread cookie from Sunset Magazine, it is a pinwheel! Plain cookies, rolled with gingerbread. They did not turn out like something from Dr. Suess. I made a pinwheel cookie before that looked like it should be in who-ville. The Panettone cookies were divine! Loved those. They were also new. I made a lot of new cookies. We did Stars of India --we have done those for several years, I think next year I will give them a rest. I bought a sampler of jams from Harry and David, 4 jams, with just enough jam in each one to do a quarter recipe of the rugalch. Those we do every year and will keep doing. To round out our cookies tray we did coconut kisses, and cranberry coconut chews. One other thing I learned was that freezing Baklava is not a good idea. It does not have that wonderful crispyness. It was still wonderful! But just no top layer crispyness. I make a four nut baklava that I think is the best ever! I think I remembered all the cookies I made. I was busy this month! Next November I will start thinking about the cookie tray for next year.. get your requests in then! My mother made the wonderful giant fruitcake and my favorite nut rolls. OH! I made a giant poppy seed roll and giant nut roll too, for Grandma Presken. Those were recipes from her mother. I am learning to make all the old family recipes! Lon will learn them too.

No comments: