Search This Blog

Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Very Sad Day


Today Bullwinkle went to his new home. I cried for hours. Bullwinkle bit the baby on Christmas Eve. He pulled back, so all that was left were large welts on the side of Lon's little face. At that point I knew that Bullwinkle was never going to warm up to the little guy. It was only getting worse. No one was happy. Lon screamed every time Bullwinkle came by, even though I was holding him. I contacted Cascadia Bassett Rescue. At first, they were reluctant to deal with me. Then they heard the entire story and were very caring and compassionate. Ms. McGee explained to me this afternoon when I met her that in 95% of cases they have no sympathy for the people who chose to give up their dogs. In my case, she felt very sorry for me. She knows how hard it was for me to have Bullwinkle go to a new home, a home without small children. I had all of Bullwinkle's things with me, his blanket, his pink thing brush, all his food and dishes, but for the life of me I could not find his collar anywhere in the house.
I know there are going to be people who second guess me and tell me that Bullwinkle could have eventually warmed up to Lon, or just to keep them separated. Keeping them separate would not have worked, a well meaning sitter could have let Bullwinkle up to play with Lon. More to the point, Bullwinkle needs love too, not being locked away from the family. The people who work with dogs, my vet, the rescue society all think I have done the difficult right choice. I am going to stick with that tonight while I cry myself to sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Suzy-loo. You did the absolute right thing. You know in your heart you did the right thing. Bullwinkle has gone to a great retirement home. I know it is hard - but hang in there.

Jim said...

Oh crap, thats scary! I would have done the same thing, too risky to keep him in that environment.

Don't worry, he will continue to have a good life!