Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2012

The Beach in February, What Were We Thinking?

The weather is less than stellar. It is about 45 degrees and raining.With a wind.  Somehow when we planned this, we did not take into consideration it was February and we are well above the equator. We are going to have fun anyway.
Our day started with pancakes at Pig N' Pancake. Mark was very good and had fruit and granola. I was not so good and had sourdough pancakes with strawberries.   It was soooo good. Lon loves his bear shaped pancake.
He is growing up! Pouring his own maple syrup, thank you very much!
After lunch, we went to an antique store. The boys were so nice to let me have as much time as I wanted to look around. There were lots of nice things I saw, lots of things I thought were over priced. Although it was nice to see some of the things I owned at a good price.  Sadly, Lon started not to feel well, so we went back to the room. I went out and got a pizza for lunch. Lon loves his pizza here. Mark wanted to go look for more shiney pretty rocks. That lasted about 20 minutes before he was soaked to the skin and freezing. He came back and had a nice hot jacuzzi tub. I wanted to go to the bead store. Root's Beads. I had a wonderful time looking at things. I got some findings and silver wire to turn out beach finds into next year's Christmas presents. I also went to two more antique stores. I found an old heavy cotton table cloth with Alaska stuff printed on it. Part of it was in sorry shape. I am going to use it to make something else out of it. Probably my pool bag for the summer. Stay tuned to see what I do with it. I also picked up some old pamphlet cookbooks from the 1930s.  I had fun. Then it was back to the room to see the boys. I was only gone two hours! Really!! The boys were rested, so we all went for a walk on the beach during a break in the rain!
Beauty shot of the beach. 
Looking for agates and other pretty things. We only found a couple.  Maybe after the storm they say is coming in tonight we will find some pretty ones
We went to dinner at the hotel restaurant, Mist. It is good food.  Service can be slow for a little one though.  But overall he was pretty good about it.   Lon talked all through dinner about wanting to do S'mores. I thought it would be fun to do the tableside s'more as our dessert. Inside. At the restaurant table. But...
no dice. We asked them to light the fire pits, it was only a little windy.  Then once the pit was lit, it started to rain.  This is when Mark and I looked at each other and wanted to know why we thought this was a good idea. The beach, in February.
Lon enjoyed his s'more. He was a couple bites into his first one and said he was going to the room to finish it, it was too cold up here.  He took a hot jacuzzi tub, got into jammies, crawled under the covers and went to sleep. Tomorrow is the day they are supposed to drop some floats. I will get up early, I hope, and see if I can find one! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will always remember this vacation. Lots of good stories..
Mom

Kestrel said...

What a fantastic holiday. Rain, shmain, kids don't really care and your antique store trawling sounds like it paid dividends. Hope you find more agates today!