Search This Blog

Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's All Happening at the Zoo

Thursday, after we got things settled, Lon and I went to the zoo! The Sacramento Zoo is small, it is Lon sized. They have Lions, Tigers, but no Bears, oh my! We walked all over the zoo and looked at all the animals. There were a very large number of school groups, preschool groups all over the place! It was crowded! Lon liked the lions, we watched the mommy and daddy lion for a while. The daddy lion just sat on the big rock looking around while the mommy lion paced, looked restless and tried to get into the door to get something to eat! We saw flamingos too. I told Lon why they were pink. Baby flamingos are white, but over time all the shrimp they eat turns them pink. The little girl and her mother beside me did not believe me, and told us so. We blew it off cause we know we are correct. We saw baby ducks, swimming in the flamingo lagoon. They were so cute! We had lunch at the zoo, which was expensive and not so good. The good side is that Lon got a new animal head lunch box! He chose the monkey one. I will put it next to his Panda lunch box from the National Zoo. Lon liked his hot dog and he did eat about 1/2 my onion rings. We also saw giraffes, they are rebuilding the giraffe habitat, they are building an eye level platform so we can see eye to eye with the giraffes. We looked at them for a while, until all three of them went inside.
Across the street from the Zoo is something called Fairy Tale Land. It was built in 1959. I got a brochure on it, and it looked really super cheesy. However, we had to park behind Fairy Tale Land when we went to the zoo. Lon looked through the fence, and he wants to go. They have a tractor to climb on, and a COW. A real live cow, sheep and all sorts of other animals to pet. This was lacking at the zoo. So I am thinking that we will be going there next week. It is also inexpensive, only 4 dollars each to get in. I will keep you posted

1 comment:

Jim said...

Suzy, no wonder they didnt believe you about the Flamingos. Everyone knows it the pink Snowballs they eat when they are young that turns them from white to pink. There is some speculation that those pink marshmallow bunnies they eat during Easter could also cause the change but I have not seen any scientific proof :) hehehe.

In all the time I spent at UCD I never made it to the Sacramento Zoo1