Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Art and Culture Night

This year was the first time we have had an Art and Culture Night at school.  I helped with the cookies, and I helped with the Totem pole making station.
There were several stations where kids could try crafts from all over the globe. African masks, Mexican tin art, Tlinget Totem poles, Korean year of the snake projects, and a few  other things I will have to fill in once I get my notes.  It went from 6:30 to 8pm.  
Since Lon has been doing so well in school lately, I took him to Dairy Queen for dinner before we had to be there.  I forgot my camera, so we had to run back to get it after we finished eating.  Even though they normally do not dip the cones for the kids meal, they did for Lon!  Such a charmer
Lon showing off his latest piece of art. He will have to explain to me what it is again.
Making totem poles. The picture behind Lon's head was of Totem Bight. Lon recognized the long house and would tell everyone that he has been there!
I was then there for the rest of the night, I helped kids get started, and tape on their totem elements. Then I stamped their passports. If you got all the stamps you could get a pass on homework.   There were alot of kids !
One of the performances of the night were Tlinget Dancers.  They were wonderful. Sounded like home.  I was teaching the kids the only word I know in Tlinget, which is Thank you. Gunalcheesh.
There were performances representing egypt, some ballet dancers too, and I something else fun, but I was so busy helping the kids do the totem poles I missed most of it.
Lon was off getting all his passport stamps and having a great time
Lon was helping me clean up, and then it was time to go. The QFC grocery store donated a bunch of bags so the kids could carry all their art treasures around. Very nice of them.
Everyone had their heritage posters on display. Lon wanted to go home, not take any more pictures.
It was fun. We enjoyed ourselves. I hope they do it again next year.

No comments: